- 1 Tbsp. (15ml) olive oil
- 2 ounces (60g) proscuitto, chopped coarse
- 2 pears, cored and sliced
- lemon juice
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup dried bing cherries, halved
- 1/2 cup(125ml) hazelnuts, toasted and chopped coarse (see note)
- 1/4 cup (50ml) olive oil
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. (37ml) cherry vinegar
- 1/4 tsp (1ml) grainy mustard
- 1/8 tsp (0.5ml) granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp (0.5ml) salt
- 1/8 tsp (0.5ml) pepper
- 1 Tbsp.(15ml) fine chopped shallot
In medium size heavy frypan, heat oil over medium low heat.
Add proscuitto and saute for 3 minutes or until almost crisp, stirring frequently.
Remove from pan and set aside. Brush pear slices with lemon juice, set aside.
In a large bowl combine salad greens, cherries, hazelnuts, pear slices and proscuitto.
In a small bowl whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper.
Whisk in shallot.
Drizzle over salad ingredients and toss to coat.
Makes 4 servings.
Note: to toast hazelnuts, spread nuts on rimmed baking sheet and bake at 350F (180C) for 8 – 10 minutes or until fragrant and lightly browned.
Transfer hazelnuts to tea towel. roll nuts around inside towel to remove as much of the hazelnut skins as possible.
Approximate nutritional analysis for each serving: 373 calories, 7.5 g protein, 27.3 g fat, 29.8 g carbohydrate.
Excellent source of Vitamin A and folate.
Excellent source of magnesium.
Very high in fibre.